Spring is on its way …After a long, wet and windy winter, the days are getting longer and lighter and warmer weather is hopefully on the horizon. We thought this was a good time to give some advice and guidance.
Take garden plants for instance –
Did you know that some are poisonous to cats and dogs? For example daffodils, spring bulbs, tulips and aconite. If you have these in your garden & your pet is prone to eating all sorts, then placing a mesh fence around them will help to keep your dog or cat away.
If you think or pet may have chewed or ingested a plant which is known to be poisonous, contact your vet.. Symptoms you may see are excessive salivating, sickness, diarrhoea and lack of coordination.
Our (free to customers) OSCAR Helpline receives a much higher number of skin related enquiries during the spring and summer months. Just like humans, dogs can develop allergies to pollen, grass and plants. Commonly, owners report that dogs begin to itch or start to develop red rashes, sometimes resulting in bald patches.
If you suspect your pet is developing a skin problem, we recommend you take them to the vet. Feeding a gluten free diet will not stop summertime allergies, but it will help to support the health of your pet’s skin and coat. Feeding a diet which contains optimising levels of biotin, zinc and omega-3 will help to maintain a healthy skin and coat. For more information why not give us a call on any of the numbers below.
Easter Is coming – and so is all of the yummy chocolate
please remember chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs and cats.. Theobromine affects cardiac function and causes seizures, tremors, vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, panting and extremely fast pulse. If you find your dog or cat has eaten some chocolate, contact your vet. Sweets can also cause your pet to have a digestive upset and should be kept well out of reach of your pet’s paws because the sweet smell of them can be hard to resist! Some sweets contain Xylitol which is a sweetener, commonly found in sugar-free human foods, and has recently been found to be toxic to dogs. By all means indulge your pet with their own special Easter present, such as a tasty treat or a new toy, but remember to keep sweets, chocolates and Easter eggs out of their reach.
If you would like any further advice on Springtime and pets, why not give Alan & Julie a call